Monday, May 18, 2015

Travelling from Battambang through Poipet to Bangkok

Well, I am moving countries again. Needing a visa for Myanmar, after a little research, Bangkok seemed to pop up as the easiest way to get one. But how to get from Battambang to Bangkok. Travel to Siem Reap and fly? Why do things the normal way? After all, life is about the journey.

The planned route I decided on was Battambang via Bus to the Poipet border. Cross over to Aranyapretet (or broken down to be able to say it better Aranya Pretet). Then tuk tuk to the Aranyapretet Railway Station for the afternoon departure of the train bound for Hua Lamphong railway station in Bangkok for a mere 48 Baht.

Sounds easy right? Well, yes and no. I purchased a ticket for the Sunday morning bus from one of the few companies that actually advertise that there bus goes to the border. Kampuchea Angkor Express Co. if you are interest. An early morning departure at 7 am giving me plenty of time to waste at the train station at Aranyapretet, all for the princely sum of $5. Conventional wisdom would probably tell you to take a taxi to the border, but hey, that hardly makes for an interesting story.

With my bags packed the night before I arrived at the bus station with a good 15 minutes to spare. But, Cambodian buses seldom run to schedule. I was told that it would not be departing to 8:30 am. Doing a quick calculation in my head, I was still safe for the train through to Bangkok. So we sat down and waited while drinking coffee.

Boredom set in waiting for the bus
But, you really can't take the word of the people in the ticketing offices. They don't really know what is going on. 8:30 came and went with no bus. Two tuk tuks arrived to ferry us to a new bus station for some more waiting. This one located outside of Battambang near a small supermarket called jokingly the night market.

Finally our bus arrived, but by this time is was 9:15 am, which I am still working out, well if the border crossing is quick then I will still be in luck. Climbing aboard the bus I discovered it was the sleeper variety, but with no allocated beds. You just simply climb in next to whoever is there. Oh well, I have done worse in the past.


View inside the bus
Finally, we are on the road, it is 9:30 am and I am leaving Battambang about 2 1/2 hours late! I was planning to be almost at Poipet by now! Realizing there is nothing to do but consider a Plan B for the Thai side of the border.

About an hour into my trip problems start again. This time in the form of the bus hitting a car. This caused another hour of delays, as the traffic police were called and people argued over who is at fault and who will pay. It was only a slight shunt in the bus but the car looked a bit of a mess afterwards.
Damage to the bus

Damage to the car
Arrrgh! Now my plan is falling apart more than just a little bit. Oh well, we will just have to see how this pans out. I may still get to the station on time.

The damaged bus finally made it to the Poipet border at 12:15. Quick border crossing I am thinking and this may still work. Grabbing my bags and making a dash for departures ummmm errrr shack. I wish the Cambodian would get there act together on their side of the border.


My departure card filled in and the minutes are ticking by. I keep glancing at my watch as I haul my 30+ kg suitcase that contain all that I will need for the immediate future down the road under the welcome arch.

A small map of the border for those that aren't familiar with it

Sailing though customs, the sun beating down on me on a clear 38 degree Celsius day, I hurry to find the Thai immigration building. I quickly fill in the arrival card and go to locate my next challenge, this day being particular good at putting them before me.

Finally my final hurdle. A flight of stair and about 10 minutes before the train leaves. I can do this!
All foreign visitors must haul there luggage up these babies!
I grab the my stuff and wrestle it up the stairs. This is no time for dawdling! A race up the steps only to find the immigration hall quite crowded. Oh well, I have finally admitted defeat on catching the train. Plan B time, a bus or minivan through to Bangkok.

After slowly making my way through Immigration I secure my minibus through to Bangkok and that is were all the problems end. As per usual, the Cambodian part of the journey is always the problem part of the journey. Once you arrive in the ''Land of Smiles'' you are not only in another country, you are in another universe. A one with things that are organised, reliable and cost effective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment